Friday, September 7, 2007

What is your definition?

LOVE IS....

"the principle of existence and its only end." "a trembling happiness"
-Benjamin Disraeli -Kahlil Gibran

"the emblem of eternity: it confounds all notion of time: effaces all memory of abeginning, all fear of an end."
-Madame de Stael

"the dawn of civility and grace."
-Ralph waldo Emerson

" to the moral nature what the sun is to the earth."
-Balzac
Love seems elusive - I know I feel it, but for me it seems so hard to define, so tied into my faith and the love Christ showed, but by no means do I think I have pegged it down. I see love in such broken people and it is like a brief ray of sun between the clouds-like all the possibilities for that person shine through in that microscopic moment. My greatest hope is love. I place all my bets with love, and very little with law, and rules. My reasoning is that, in the beginning, God loved us into existence. We write rules and try to find a way to empower ourselves with them-and that is good and in a way, how it should be. But if those rules are rooted in anything but love, they will fall. So, for me, law is fine, when practiced with love, but sure to miss the mark, when practiced with fear-of the unknown, the new, the pioneering territory.

What do y'all think?

2 comments:

Amber said...

"But these three remain: hope, joy, love. But the greatest of these is love."

Hannah said...

The sweet and innocent kiss of a 5-year-old, when they cannot think of anything to say, except "your beautiful".